welcome

welcome to my life. i will sing to you. i will cry to you. i will write to you.

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

when we're hungry

love will keep us alive, yes, but also, this happens.

i woke up at a reasonable time, had some coffee, bathed the kids, fed the kids, bathed myself, transported the kids to their respective destinations for the day, and set off on my morning commute. all the while i was thinking about food. i was starving. unreasonably so. in fact, food was all i could think about. i didnt want to stop at my beloved mcdonalds had a farm, but i needed food, or i would never make it through my morning without a fairly significant breakdown. "there is a snack shop on the fourth floor," i thought, very relieved. still, i was only half way to work and i was passing bill boards with big macs, sausage biscuits, juicy juice and the like. it was not helping, you advertising people, it was making my life worse. thanks a lot! now infuriated, i pulled (with my last bit of strength) in to the parking lot at work. as i was placing my keys in pocket of my purse, something shiny caught my eye. my pulse quickened. could it be? my hands were trembling as i reached in and fumbled the contents of my purse to find that glimmering piece of flimsy foil that was used to house the delicious twix bar! the anticipation really was too much, i thought, but shortly discovered that what really was too much was the fact that the twix wrapper was empty. empty. i was defeated. devastated. discouraged. dissatisfied. depressed. running late in my misery.
after i put my things down and booted up my computer, i made a bee line for the fourth floor. there was a plethora of delectable treats waiting for me there. i chose the one called "the big Texas" cinnamon roll. not for any reason other than the picture on the wrapper. illustrated on the clear cellophane was a sparkling gold emblem with these words across it "voted pastry of the year five years running". well, clearly, thats the pastry for me.
i carefully (ok, more like a ravenous animal) opened the wrapper and daintily (ferociously) devoured the cinnamon roll. it was fine. not perfect, not terrible, possibly the best pastry five years running -- in its category, that is. that started me wondering: who votes? how many people vote? why didnt i get to vote? i would like that job, voting on pastries. do only the people who work at the big Texas cinnamon roll factory get to vote? are there multiple categories? how does this work? i want in.
then i noticed the 2-foot-tall stack of file folders on my desk and decided that since i was adequately nourished, i started to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment