welcome

welcome to my life. i will sing to you. i will cry to you. i will write to you.

Monday, November 29, 2010

a few of my favorite things

in regards to favorite things, i would like to state, for the record, that coffee is pulling its weight. it keeps me happy, indeed. thats not what i sat down to write about, though. its just what i was thinking about when i got out of bed and that nectar of life is working its magic as my fingers find their way to the keys to type out the things i really wanted you to know about. its still dark in here, after all, and mickey mouse clubhouse is on the tv... i need all the help i can get.

as an additional side note, you should know that my baby's morning breath is no longer that sweet baby breath i used to love. it would be a good idea for him to go ahead and brush his teeth.

i should focus. like i said, its early.

my dear auntie let me know that she missed my writing. my most honest answer was 'i havent had anything nice to say.' its been a long and exhausting month around here, folks. when i started blogging, i purposed to avoid the cranky, the sad, the negative. since you all know me as me and not just as a blogger, you know this can pose a problem. in these past weeks, particularly, i have struggled to be uplifting. i now have something nice to say, and by golly i will say it. there needs to be some groundwork though, its not so happy--

three days ago, bub and his brothers officiated a funeral service for their grandma. as a result of a massive brain hemmorage, granny fought for her life for 3 weeks. God, in His mercy, took her to heaven last tuesday night. granny's illness and subsequent death was rather similar to the illness and death of my own grandma, who i lost two years ago.

bub, the kids and i returned home friday night exhausted. on saturday morning, i started pulling out christmas decorations and setting the trees up. also, in hopes of returning to normal, i started planning a menu for the week (which i havent done in several weeks).

sometimes recipes just come to mind, other times i have to hunt them down. this was a hunting expedition. in my stack of cookbooks, i found bub's family cookbook which contained recipes written by aunts, cousins, mom and granny. i will tell you - this book is one of my favorite things. i will be using these recipes for several meals this week. im so thankful for the meals granny provided and for a way to (almost) duplicate them.

i got two trees set up. last year, we didnt decorate for christmas at all. we had just moved in, and i hardly knew where my shoes were - i wasnt about to start dragging out decorations. this did pose a bit of a problem in decorating this year. there were boxes of decorations in several different places in my house and garage. i found one box, a blue box with snowmen on the outside, that i didnt remember seeing before. when i opened the box, tears filled my eyes and my heart hurt just a little. that mystery box was full of little nutcracker ornaments that my grandma had given me. the christmas before she died, grandma decided to clean out her christmas decorations since she 'wouldnt use them again'. this is my third christmas without her, but i am so thankful to have received a gift from her this year.

when i look around my house, i see little reminders of our grandmas in every room. the christmas tree, the fire extinguisher lamp, the canisters, the tables, the dishes - so many of my favorite things.

No comments:

Post a Comment